May 12, 2008
GNW 5: Hypocrisy worth talking about
Posted by: Chris
The item No. 2 below about conservative Republican Congressman Vito Fossella represents a type of hypocrisy on gay issues really worth talking about. It lacks the lurid sexual details of stories about sexual hypocrisy that so animate the gay blogosphere. But it's so much more telling to me that this man, who has virulently opposed anything that smacks of gay rights and treated his own sister so hatefully, was violating all his own rules in his own life.
We can only hope he defies party elders and runs for re-election. Either voters will send him packing, opening the door for a (hopefully more moderate) Democrat, or he'll be sent back to Washington, devoid of any pretense of moral authority.
- With revenue down, Playboy ready to go a little gay: QUICK LOOK: With its television revenue down $2.8 million already this year, Playboy Enterprises plans to offer 20 hours of softcore gay male programming to Time Warner Cable subscribers,... (MORE)
- Embattled N.Y. congressman shuns lesbian sister: QUICK LOOK: Vito Fossella built a career as a staunch "family values" pol, polishing his image in his predominantly Catholic district with a string of anti-gay votes. He even shuns... (MORE)
- Sheena Easton tries to reinvent herself as gay icon: QUICK LOOK: She's back – not in her native Scotland, of course, but very definitely in the pink. Sheena Easton is launching a bold bid to reinvent herself as a gay icon. The Scottish... (MORE)
- Lesbian custody battle could set precedent in Texas: QUICK LOOK: The last time Kristie Vowels saw her daughter was on April 25, 2007. And whether she ever will have the legal right to see the nearly-4-year-old child again depends on... (MORE)
- Pro-life MPs threaten to limit access to in-vitro in U.K.: QUICK LOOK: Single women and lesbian couples could lose the right to have in-vitro fertilisation treatments if pro-life MPs succeed in their bid to hijack the Human Fertilisation... (MORE)
These are the Top 5 popular stories on Gay News Watch over the last 24 hours. You can also view the most popular stories of the last week or month, as well as the biggest stories of the last 24 hours, week or month.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
The comments to this entry are closed.