January 08, 2009
The Week on GNW (Dec. 28-Jan. 3)
Posted by: Chris
Note to readers: Sorry for my absence from the blog the last few days. I flew back to Brazil after a two-month stay in the U.S. and my net access was spotty until last night, when we moved into our new (albeit temporary) apartment in Rio. As much as I enjoyed seeing family and friends back in the U.S. of A. and recharged my batteries with two brief stays in D.C., a reunion with my better half was long overdue. Who knows -- maybe a new year, a new Congress and a new administration may bring changes that lead to the end of my "love exile" from the U.S., now stretching into the third month of its third year.
Here are the five biggest stories from Gay News Watch over the last week:
- Increase in visibility may have sparked gay bashings: QUICK LOOK: From a series of street bashings in Seattle to the baseball bat murder of an Ecuadorean immigrant in New York, episodes of anti-gay violence punctuated a year now ending... (MORE)
- Has Barack Obama already turned his back on gays?: QUICK LOOK: President-elect Barack Obama's decision to invite Southern California megachurch Pastor Rick Warren to give the opening invocation at his inauguration on January 20 has... (MORE)
- U.S. Episcopal Church is splitting over gay equality: QUICK LOOK: In the past five years, the Episcopal Church has found itself pushed to the forefront of the culture wars. After Gene Robinson, an openly gay man with a longterm partner,... (MORE)
- Mickey Rourke trashes Sean Penn as a 'homophobe': QUICK LOOK: In a private text message, Mickey Rourke bashes Sean Penn—his chief rival in the Oscar race—as a "homophobe" and an "average" actor. Several entertainment industry sources... (MORE)
- Gay words are banned from Sony's virtual world: QUICK LOOK: Michael Marsh, an 18-year-old gamer from Norwalk, Conn., wanted to set up a gay/straight alliance club in PlayStation Home, Sony's new free 3-D virtual world component... (MORE)
And here are a few of the most popular from the last week:
- New Beckham teammate planning locker room peek: QUICK LOOK: One of David Beckham’s new Italian teammates is desperate to see his golden balls. AC Milan striker Marco Borriello, 26, said: “I must admit I have a dressing room curiosity... (MORE)
- Campbell's ignores conservative attack on gay ad: QUICK LOOK: They don't come much more conservative than Campbell Soup, but the iconic marketer is nonetheless standing fast against the American Family Association, which has taken... (MORE)
- Nev. gambling regulators cite gay bar for public sex: QUICK LOOK: Nevada gambling regulators have filed a complaint against a Las Vegas gay bar that holds a slot machine license, alleging that several patrons engaged in sex acts in... (MORE)
- Three arrested in N. California gang rape of lesbian: QUICK LOOK: One man and two teens have been arrested on suspicion of gang-raping a woman last month in the San Francisco Bay area while allegedly taunting her for being a lesbian,... (MORE)
- Sodomy accuser is now suing NYPD for $200 million: QUICK LOOK: A tatoo worker who has accused three cops of sodomizing him in a Brooklyn subway station took the first step Friday toward suing the city for $200 million. Michael Mineo... (MORE)
These were the five stories on Gay News Watch with the biggest buzz over the last seven days, along with some of the most popular stories from the last week. You can also view the stories with the biggest buzz factor from the last month or year, and the most popular from the last month or year.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
The comments to this entry are closed.